Many people hibernate in the winter, only coming out to decorate the outside of their homes once the temperature begins to climb. However, a few simple techniques can make your entranceway and yard beautiful and inviting no matter the season!
Outside curb appeal can make you love pulling up into your own driveway as you gaze at your beautiful home, but it is especially critical when selling. The best time to catch a potential buyer’s eye is the moment they see your house from the outside. Creating this first impression may seem easiest in the spring as the flowers bloom. But with a little inspiration and creativity, you can create a gorgeous exterior anytime.
The Irresistible Appeal of Spring
Every spring, we have so much to look forward to! The snow is finally gone, and it feels like a triumph when you can venture out without a bulky winter coat. The first blooms have burst through the ground in a dazzling array of colours and scents, and the world just seems more alive.
The spring months are the perfect time for homeowners to get out the gloves and tools and start beautifying the front yard! The garden centres are bustling with activity as people seek to add colour and life to the exterior of their homes. Here are some tips for transforming your front yard just in time for spring:
- Keep it simple. Grocery stores, greenhouses, and even local convenience shops are loaded to the brim with every type of plant imaginable. It can seem overwhelming, but you never want your garden to look chaotic or overcrowded. Instead, decide on a particular colour palette or theme and stick to it.
- Know your blooms. If you want to enjoy the beauty of foliage all season long, you’ll want to know what to plant and when. Some spring flowers bloom early but don’t last long. Others come up late as the summer begins to wind down. Shopping at a garden centre with knowledgeable staff can help you plan for a gorgeous garden that will not quit! If in doubt, stick with hardy plants like petunias, dahlias, or alyssum for ground cover.
- Upkeep is paramount. Spring is typically the rainy season, and the grass and foliage grow quickly. Mowing the lawn, trimming the hedges, and pulling out weeds regularly will help keep your outdoor oasis looking beautiful.
Want even more ideas to make your home look stunning? Look no further than the posts below:
- A Vision For Your Home: Our Staging Expertise
- Lighting Techniques That Give Your Home An Instant Facelift
- Top 5 Luxury Design Features In Modern Toronto Homes
Creating a House of Summer Fun
Canada may be known for its frigid winters, but the summers around here can get hot, hot, hot! The sweltering heat is often accompanied by long dry spells with very little rain. The lush, green garden you were so proud of in the spring can be challenging to maintain during the hottest months of summer. The key is to work with nature rather than fight against it.
- Add some shade. An outdoor umbrella, pergola, or gazebo can add beauty to your yard while providing a welcome relief from the hot sun. Plus, it creates a welcoming and inviting space for entertaining guests.
- Consider a rock garden. Dry spells no longer have to be accompanied by brown lawns and withering plants. A rock garden provides an air of natural beauty with drought-resistant plants and succulents that can thrive in nearly any climate. The bees and butterflies will also love fluttering from bloom to bloom as they gather up their pollen.
- Add colourful furniture and decor. Flowers and blooms may struggle in the hot summer sun, but that doesn’t mean your yard has to go without colour! Decorative throw cushions and creative patio furniture add visual interest to your yard while giving you a comfortable place to relax and enjoy this hot but all too short summer season.
A Feast for the Eyes in the Fall
As summer fades, the fall colours burst forth with a breathtaking display! This time of year is so filled with natural beauty that you hardly have to do much of anything to fill your home with curb appeal. If you have a tree in your yard, nature will do much of the work for you. Still, adding a few final touches can create even more of a “wow” factor.
Look for last-minute deals. The garden centres may be closing, but it’s the perfect time to find beautiful late bloomers that add life to your yard even as the first frost approaches.
- Make it festive. Pumpkins and decorative gourds will last a long time and add a warm, festive touch to your front porch and yard.
- Powerwash your driveway and front walkway. Now that the weather is cooler, it’s a great time to take on the more demanding outdoor tasks. Renting a powerwasher can refresh the concrete so your driveway perfectly complements your seasonal decor.
- Prepare for next year. Winter is on the way, but spring will arrive before you know it. And autumn is the best time to plant many bulbs. A few months from now, you’ll be glad you made the effort!
Are you ready to get the best results when selling your home, regardless of the season? The following resources will help:
- 3 Tips For Selling Luxury In The Current Real Estate Market
- What Is A Real Estate Exclusive?
- What Buyers Want in Toronto Right Now
A Pristine Winter Wonderland
The first snowfall can seem magical! However, unless you’re a hardcore winter lover, the novelty can wear off fast, especially when the shovelling starts. During this time, it’s easy to ignore the outside of your house. Luckily, the best tips to add gorgeous curb appeal in the winter are simple and easy to maintain.
- Keep your walkway clear. It doesn’t just make your front entrance look clean and inviting. A clear path is essential to keep potential buyers and visitors safe.
- Add outdoor lights. The days are short and the sun sets early in the winter. Some outdoor, seasonal lights will brighten things up and add a hint of visual interest.
- Add greenery even when the snow flies. Outdoor pine trees can withstand even the coldest temperatures and are a fantastic way to add life to your yard in the winter. Potted plants on either side of the front door can create the effect of a grand entrance.
With a little help from your friends and family, you can turn the exterior of your property into an outdoor paradise every day of the year. It can add significantly to your price if you decide to sell. But most importantly, it will add to your enjoyment of your home!
Do you have questions about buying or selling in Toronto now that the market is starting to change? We are happy to start you off on the right track. Reach out to us right here or call 647.232.7317 for more information.